Saturday, September 3, 2011

What time is it?


time.jpg


I am a compulsive planner.  My desk, mind, and trash can are filled with hour by hour written out schedules.  I am constantly checking the time and analyzing how much has been accomplished in the last five minutes.

Some people would call this an asset, a desirable skill.  It's more like an obsession for me.  Is there a group for "Time-Checkers Anonymous"?

When I returned from the Philippines, the clock in my car stopped working.  No big deal, I have my phone by which to check the time.

Last night, I left some dear friends of mine around 11pm.  I had a 30-45 minute drive ahead of me.  That meant, I had plenty of time to monitor my progress, plan the number of hours I was going to sleep, plan my wake up time, plan... plan... plan.

Except, my phone was not in my purse.  And because I spent 20 minutes searching for it once I arrived home, my plans for sleep were foiled.  Luckily, I had an extra alarm clock.

I set my alarm and nestled down into bed, excited about my 6 and one-half hours of sleep.

Except, I woke up on my own after only 6 hours.  There went my plan!

As I got ready, I realized that all the clocks in the house are fast by different amounts.  There went my plan to know how long I had to do each activity!

Knowing that I needed a watch of some sort in order to survive my 30-40 minute drive to work this morning, I found an old watch, set it to the minute according to the time on my computer, grabbed a timer for work, and darted out the door.

I was on time to work (MIRACLE!) but my student wasn't ready yet.  There went my minute-by minute lesson plan!

As I left work, I compared my watch to the time on my client's microwave.  "11:10 am," the microwave said.  My watch: 4:07.  What time zone am I in again?!

Homeward bound, I got a few minutes away from work, only to realize my timer had been left behind.  How much time did I spend to go back?  At this point, I didn't really care.

My client and I had a good laugh as their family dog (beast) blocked the door as I tried to leave the second time.

I arrived home at some point.  As I pondered how much time I had to eat, study, get my phone from my friend, etc., before going to my next job, I realized it doesn't matter.

What time is it?

This question cannot be answered with a mere number any longer.

It is time to trust.

It is time to trust that God will direct my path.

It is time to trust that I hear and respond to His voice.

It is time to trust that I will not miss His time.

What time is it?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! This is how you & I are COMPLETELY different! Interestingly enough, we still both have to trust. And it's just as hard for me to trust as it is for you...just about different things :). Thanks so much for sharing - I love how it puts things into perspective!

    ReplyDelete