Monday, May 3, 2010

Filipino Initiation

Prayer Requests:
  • To be bigger on the inside than on the outside. (See Pastor Robert's latest sermon at gatewaypeople.com)
  • To get in touch with my contact in the Philippines (It's been over a month since I've heard from her.)
  • Wisdom in every area of life
Week/Weekend Events

The TAKS test is over! Praise God! That's the last time I'll ever have to give it! I can't wait to get the scores back for my kids. :-)

Thursday I told my students that I am moving to the Philippines. They were shocked and sad, but excited for me, too. One of them cried. I admit, I did, too. I love my students so much. If I could adopt them all, I would.

One of my students is from the Philippines, so I wrote a note to her parents asking for help in getting familiar with the culture and language. They went above and beyond my dreams and expectations! They invited me to their daughter's birthday party!

At the party, I experienced the Filipino food, family, and faith. It was wonderful! One of the relatives had prepared important Tagalog words and phrases for me to learn. He helped me practice them and add to the list. The women told me all about the shopping there. Haha!

The family is devout Catholic and had a Rosary service in their home. I participated in the parts that worshipped Jesus, but not being Catholic myself, I did not do anything towards Mary. "There is one mediator between God and man and that is the Man, Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2:5). At the end of praying the Rosary, there is a time for personal requests to be lifted up. My student's dad prayed for me and for the adventure I am embarking on. I felt so privileged to experience this service.

One lady's parents are coming from the Philippines to visit next week. She wants me to meet them and have contact with them so that when I get there, I can have a family to stay with if I ever need to get away. I am looking forward to this!

After the Rosary service, we ate. I LOVE FILIPINO FOOD!!!! I had pork and rice and dried fish and coconut jello stuff and yucca custard stuff and some other pork stuff and some tilapia. I don't know the names of anything I ate and don't really know what all was in it. I just know it was amazing and I can't wait to have that stuff every day! Haha! My student's mom sent me home with a few containers of leftovers. Apparently that is Filipino custom. :-)

I took the day off today to go to the dentist and get other logistical things done. I am feeling like it is crunch time to get things done now. In reality, it is. I only have 57 days left here in America. And 14 of those will be spent in Colorado on vacation.

Goodbye, Time! Hello, Destiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment