Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I'm Here!

I arrived yesterday around noon and was taken by the police to the hotel where I picked up my bag of clothes.  (Remember, the police are friends.)

We went to the police station where I dropped off my things.  Then we went to a "Comedor" for lunch.  It is kind of like a mom and pop fast food place.  The word doesn't translate.

I am currently typing on a Spanish keyboard and borrowing someone's computer.  It says I am misspelling every word!(A little distracting as I am trying to type!)

Where I am staying is very comfortable.  I have a bed and two lockers.  I will share my room with other female officers later, but last night I had it to myself.  The police station is located right next to a bus terminal.  So, starting at around 3 am, loud buses and motorcycles started honking and yelling to come get rides.  I will be able to sleep through anything after being here!

Suli is the office assistant here.  She speaks English well enough to serve as a translator when my Spanish breaks down.  She is a sweet-heart!  Everyone here is SO EAGER to learn English!  There is a buzz of excitement all around whenever I am introduced.

I will start classes this afternoon.  They will be held for 2 hours at a time.  From my understanding, everyone is required to attend.  Suli will act as my assistant, but I will give her (and anyone else here that is on her level) separate classes at a different time.

I will post pictures once I have my own internet connection. For now, know that I am doing well, am very well received, and very happy.

(PS: I had soup, rice, and chicken for lunch yesterday, and fish and chips for dinner last night.  This morning, I ate beans, tortillas, and eggs.  I can get through all of my meals on only $6/day.  This includes a drink with each meal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment