Sunday, May 27, 2012

Packing

It is less than 24 hours before I leave.  Am I packed?

Yes and no.

I sent almost 50 pounds of essential clothing and toiletries ahead of me over a week ago.  The hotel (that I'm not staying at) is holding it and a cell phone for me.

I have most of my teaching supplies put in a separate suitcase that still must be repacked and added to.

But, I am still packing in the memories to take with me.  Today, one my best friends (who lives out of town) is going to church with me.  And this afternoon, another dear friend of my mine will celebrate her wedding.

Before these amazing events can be enjoyed however, I must finish the research paper required as part of my course credit.  It is killing me.  It is over the culture of Guatemala and supposed to help prepare me for the trip.  The activator side of me just wants to spew stuff on a page, not cite it, and get into the country. "The country itself will teach me about the culture!" Activator screams.  For some reason, graduate school does not look favorably on this tactic. So, finish it, I will.

More than anything, though, I want to get this paper done so I can hide away with the Lord and hear His heartbeat for this trip. Yes, I will be teaching English, but I can do nothing without Him.  The Misty Edwards song lyrics, "What are you saying?  What are you doing? I have to know," come to mind and mouth.  I must know Him. Truly, this trip is about knowing God and making Him known.  Teaching English is just the means to do so.

As I pack and write, I keep laughing at the rules everyone keeps telling me.  My friends and roommates seem the most concerned that they will be broken.  I have been quizzed by them more than once.
  1. You cannot get married.  
  2. You can, however, fall in love. 
  3. The engagement and wedding must be stateside.  
  4. You cannot stay there.
  5. You must come back.
  6. You cannot bring home any people.
  7. You cannot adopt any children.
  8. No visas by marriage.
  9. You must stay in touch.
  10. You must stay safe.
Apparently, there is a general apprehension that I will fall in love while I'm away and have a shotgun wedding without them! Don't worry, friends and family, I am packing this advice and will let you know when I use it.

Now that I have unpacked this morning's thoughts, I will get back to writing that paper...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Time flies. I cannot believe it already time for you to leave. See you at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete