Sunday, July 8, 2012

Chichicastenango

I am long overdue in updating my blog, but I was so busy in Antigua!  After climbing the volcano, I spoiled myself to a pedicure and massage.  I love being adventurous and rustic, but I also love to be pampered!  I finished up my classes, and had numerous wonderful conversations with the police officers, other missionaries, and other tourists.

One of my favorite conversations of this past week comes from staying up late talking to one of my roommates about Christ. I had been waiting to have the conversation and to disciple her further.  It was wonderful to be able to study the Bible together in Spanish and to encourage her.  We talked mostly about how suffering is a gift that draws us closer to God and makes us grateful for the good times.  We talked about how Jesus is with us in every moment that we suffer.  Pain is not foreign to Him.

I concluded my classes this week by buying cake for my students and printing certificates of attendance for them.  They were so grateful and honored!  I learned however, that it is not safe for them to have their pictures posted on the internet. I will be deleting the pictures and information from my former posts that could possibly compromise their security.  I didn't even think about this when I posted them previously.  Forgive me if this causes some of you to receive multiple emails.

Friday, my last full day in Antigua was a day of a continual divine appointment. I went to my favorite coffee shop for breakfast and my quiet time.  I walk in and a couple is also having breakfast and studying the Bible together in English.  So, after I finish my breakfast, I start talking to them.  The guy, Loui has the gift of evangelism, something I have been praying for.  He immediately starts talking about leading people to repentance, the meaning of grace, and so much more.  I felt the Holy Spirit say to me, "This is your answer to prayer."

I won't go into everything here, but it was wonderful.  All that he shared was already in me.  But just like a soup has the ingredients in it to be delicious, if left alone, the good stuff goes to the bottom.  The soup needs to be stirred to have the best flavor.  Loui and his wife, Ana, stirred up the truth about hell and about evangelism in me.  I know that there is once again a richer flavor to the message I am called to share.  Hell is real.  Repentance is the requirement to avoid it.  Jesus is the only way to heaven.

The living arrangements I had in Antigua were not the greatest, and it was difficult to get started there. However, those were such small things in comparison to the fruit of changed lives in that city.  I really pray the Lord allows me to go back there one day.

Saturday, I left Antigua and came to Chichi. I am staying in the wonderful home of a missionary family connected to Gateway.  I have hot water, a double bed, and I don't share my room! I am so grateful to be here.  I look forward to what the Lord is going to do in this city!

This brings me to another point.  I no longer have pictures to post.  Today, I was in the market, carrying the family's baby on my front.  My purse was forced to my back and I couldn't hold it like I normally do.  There were many, many people trying to get through a tight space.  I felt something in/on my purse and put my hand there, but nothing more.  I didn't even look at my purse. When we got home a few minutes later, my camera and my phone were gone.  So, all my pictures from this last week, and the phone numbers of many of my new friends are gone.

I am perfectly ok.  At no point was I ever in physical danger.  It was just a matter of the perfect circumstances to be robbed.  No money was taken, only my camera and phone.  I hope to buy a new phone soon. But I am not sure about buying a new camera.  That is a lot of money that I was not planning on spending.

I went straight to the police station and filed a report.  But they can't really do anything.  The person is gone, for sure.  So, while I filed the report, I also got schedules for teaching worked out.

The city here is very small, so there is not a need for very many tourism police. I will teach 2 sections of classes in the mornings.  Then, in the afternoons, I will teach 2 sections of classes to the regular police.  Each class is 1 1/2 hours long. In all, I should have about 30 students who rotate through on the same schedule as the officers in Antigua.  Each officer will receive 6-9 hours of class depending on their rotation schedule.  There is a great variation in the number of hours of class they receive because I will not work the weekends.

I know the Lord has great things in store for the people here.  I am excited about partnering with Him to cause them to come to pass. And despite today's events, I am still at complete peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment