Sunday, July 22, 2012

Wrapping Up but Never Done

On Friday, I finished teaching to the Guatemalan Tourism Police. I ended class by giving diplomas, cake, and coke.  I also passed out sermons and Bibles to the police.  I pray that the police are changed by the Word of God.  I also pray that they seek out the "million" ministries around them for discipleship.

Guatemala is a country in need of true discipleship.  They need to hear the message of repentance.  Jesus came not just to say, "I love you; here's something to make your life better." But to say, "Repent. Make Me the Boss of your life.  It won't be easy, but to know Me is worth the struggle."  The Gospel is not about mercy ministry.  The Gospel is that Jesus died on the Cross to appease the wrath of God against mankind.  We are inherently evil, not good.  We must repent and do life God's way- fleeing from our sin so that we might know Him better. The police- and so many others here and throughout the world- need this message.

While I was in Chichicastenango, I read most of the biography of J. Husdon Taylor.  He was missionary to China in the late 1800's who brought the Gospel to inland China for the first time.  There were other missionaries besides him, but he did things radically, facing much persecution as he went.  My heart is so stirred by the sacrificial life he lived in order to tell others the Gospel.

During my time in Chichi, I had the privilege of staying with many people from ASELSI ministries.  I was so encouraged to watch these families live their lives before the Lord!  I am looking forward to bringing all that I gleaned from them back with me to the states.

Right now, I am in Chimaltengano in a BEAUTIFUL home.  My purpose in being here is to wrap up my trip by spending time processing things with the Lord.  The family, Pat and Charlie Reynolds, have a school here as well as ministry to some surrounding villages.  Their home is often used as a retreat center as well.  I plan on going with them tomorrow and Tuesday as they make their normal rounds.

Here are some pictures of their place that I took with my iPhone:

The view from my bedroom

Coffee with my MAN, Jesus, in the prayer garden


Over-sized flower :-)

Another gorgeous view
I am planning on being here until Tuesday or Wednesday.  I am still hoping to make a trip to Peten to see the Mayan ruins before I come home.  I know the Lord called me to go there, I am just not sure at this time how to make it happen (or when).  There is a chance the police will take me there, but their schedules may not permit it.  In that case, I will find a travel agency to go with.  I know the Lord will guide my way.  So, I'm seeking Him as to what it will be.

As I sit with the Lord here in Chimaltenango, my heart is stirred to continue living a "missionary" life when I get back to the states. I've tasted what it means to serve the nations.  I've tasted living outside my comfort zone for the sake of Christ. I have by no means eaten a full-course meal, but I want to give my life trying to.

Every Christian is commanded to make disciples.  Only the location has a calling. Where is yours?  Could it be the nations of the world? Or even the nations next door?

2 comments:

  1. I have my trip to Peten!! I don't expect to have Internet until I get back. I leave tonight and come back Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my trip to Peten!! I don't expect to have Internet until I get back. I leave tonight and come back Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete