Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Estoy Sola, en Serio (I'm Single, Seriously)

I just finished my third day of classes here in Chichi.  It is going well.  However, I have taught the same lesson over 12 times this summer.  I am so looking forward to teaching something else when I return to the states!

It seems everywhere I go, I am asked the question, "Are you married?"  In America, this is a question that seems quite blunt, upfront, and overly inquisitive.  (Check for the ring and you won't have to ask!  Men, if you don't see it, then ask the Lord about pursuing her!) However, it is the first question out of many people's mouths in other countries.

Today, I had a large break between classes so I took a tuk-tuk to the supermarket and back home.  The shortened conversation of the second tuk-tuk ride is as follows:

Me: To the Collegio de Guiermo Heiss, please.  Or near there, rather.
Driver: Are you teaching here in Chichi?
Me: Yes, to the tourism police.
Driver: Do you work with ASEILSI?
Me: No, I am just friends with them.
Driver: Are you single?
Me: Yes
Driver: Are you looking for me to be your boyfriend?
Me: No. I am content being single. Thanks though.
I figured this was a safe response to any other advances, such as asking for my full name to find me on Facebook or to get my phone number.  However, the conversation continued later.
Driver: The color of your eyes is beautiful.
Me: Um, thanks.
Driver: Why are you single?
Me: My life is in the hands of God.  He hasn't given me a husband yet. So, I am waiting on His timing.
Today's tuk-tuk conversation was not the end of being questioned about being single.

In all of my classes today (and every class I've taught this summer), I was asked the same questions.  I gave the same answers.

However, one incident in class today caught me so off guard that I could barely continue teaching.  I was teaching how to ask, "What is this? What is that?"  I had the students stand up and take turns touching objects and pictures around the room, asking their classmates questions.  One student was doing really well until his last question. (Today, all my students were men.)

He came up and touched my arm, asking, "What is this?"  The question's grammar was correct.  He was near the object in question.  But wow! That so caught me off guard!  What was he expecting?  Such a clash of cultures right there! "Don't touch me!" screamed the American inside!

He further explained in Spanish that he was asking about the total person and expected the answer to be, "woman, teacher, body, arm, etc."  However, besides the cultural differences in touching people, he also didn't understand what one of his classmates had immediately answered in English: "That is a pretty lady."

It took everything in me to pull myself together and continue with the lesson.  Thankfully, I wasn't the only one laughing.

At the end of class, I offered to answer any questions (in Spanish) my students had: about the United States, my life, English, my culture.  My students were silently lingering around, not sure of what they wanted to ask. I then heard "Touch-Man" tell his friend, "I want to ask her if she's married."

To which, I quickly replied, "No, I'm single, and I'm not looking."  Immediately, they all got up and left class.

The truth is, though, is that I am looking.  I am looking to God to meet my every need and desire in His perfect timing.  I am looking forward to sharing a future with the man God gives me.  But I am also waiting.  I am waiting to be found by the man God reveals me to.  I am waiting to be given to a man, and waiting to receive the man that will be perfect for me.

Somehow, I know that God is using my testimony of singleness in Guatemala.  This is a country where women are often married before the age of 18 and have children before then as well.  It is a country where it is common for the men to have mistresses and the women to just live with this knowledge.  My prayer is that by sharing how my life is in the hands of God, these people would be led to trust Him with theirs.  Even as I type this, I am realizing how easy it is to return the question: "Do you trust God with your life like I trust Him with mine?"

God, 
Thank You for sending me out as a single woman into a culture of "love."  Thank You for allowing me to embrace this "extended" season of singleness.  May I use it to expand Your kingdom, to make You more famous, to bring people to salvation.  And thank You in advance for the husband you are preparing for me.  I know that he is going to be the perfect gift to me and I the perfect gift for him.  Guard him and protect him while we wait for each other.  I love you and trust Your timing for everything.  
Love, 
Your Little Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment