Tuesday, July 20, 2010

And the testing begins....

Hello friends and family!
I know I have probably scared you out of your wits with the last pictures of the last post. So, now, I bring better news. :-)

Last weekend, I went to Bataan where IFL has helped to plant a church in the midst of Ietas- a mountain tribe that was unreached 6 years ago. A member of the church, had passed away, so a group went up there for the funeral. It was a six hour drive. I went so that I could get to know the teachers and see the ministry up there. I felt bad being a tagalong for a funeral, but it really was a great time.




Tamarines- sour things fresh from the tree, eaten with salt


This is how the road ends in the Philippines. No signs, no warning and the rebar sticking out.


This is a rundown house of the Ietas. IFL people built these houses. No one lives in it anymore. The people don't know how to take care of them.
Paige, I took this picture for you! :-) It's a water buffalo!!!!



This is my friend Rose Ann and Andrew, the pastor's son.


Jing (my roommate from Singapore. She goes home on Tuesday.)

Anita is in the middle.




Lisa- a teacher I got know while on the trip.


I got to drink coconut milk from a coconut that had been on the tree only a few minutes before. It was SOOOO GOOD!!! :-) I also ate Jack fruit fresh from the tree. Jack fruit is sticky and slightly sweet. I think you could use some of it for hair gel in a pinch! We also went wading in the river. On a hot, humid day (as if we had any other type of day here!) the cool water felt so nice!









Jack Fruit
Traffic on the way home


I got my passport extended yesterday. I am legal until some time in August, then I will have to extend it again. After that, I will get my visa.

I love going out in the city, but I don't know if I will ever get used to being stared at for the color of my skin. At one place, there were some kids that just stared at me with their mouth open. I looked at them and said, "Yes, I am an American!" and went on my way! Then, I went to another restaurant and had groceries in my hand. A guy pulled out a chair for me to sit at the table next to him just because of the color of my skin! I am not afraid at all- there is no danger, but it's just weird! I want to come up with a response. I'm thinking about carrying sticky notes and signing autographs. I just need a body guard to make my movie star status legitimate!

I started testing the reading comprehension levels of Grade 1 students today using the Informal Reading Inventory book that my dad shipped me last week. I could hardly get the students to talk to me! I don't know if the problem is that I am white or if they just really don't understand me.

Their reading levels are SO LOW! The kids can say the words on the page all the way up to grade three, but cannot answer reading comprehension questions on passages for kindergardeners. Please pray for the students and for me. I complained to God, "They can't read!" He said, "That's why I brought you here." I want to multiply myself into every classroom. I am praying for laborers to come. But I think I am my own answer to prayer. If I couldn't do this, He would have sent other people to come here with me. Still, I am praying for laborers. I am also praying for a classroom.

The special education teacher (Nancy) and I do not have classrooms to teach in. Our apartment is our workroom, our storeroom, and sometimes, our classroom. We can only use a classroom to teach in when the other classes are not meeting- in the hottest part of the day. One classroom will cost around $6000 to build. IFL wants to build 8 of them. We are praying for the finances to be able to start construction by Christmas time.

Please pray that God speaks to both Nancy and I about how to do our jobs. Nancy is doing a pilot program also. We have been given tasks and students, but rely on Jesus alone as to how to go about fulfilling them. Nancy is also my roommate. She is SUCH A GODSEND! We are able to communicate about students, God, life, and laugh together. She has the same heart for the kids as I do. It's so encouraging to see her passion and commitment! :-)

I will begin a second day of testing tomorrow. Pray that it goes better than today did. God knows what He is doing in having me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment