Monday, July 5, 2010

Job Description

Hello everyone!

There is a song with the line, "You are my hope" being sung to the Lord. Well, before I left, I couldn't sing it with the word hope. Instead I sang, "You are my Home." Wherever the Lord is, that is home.

You have heard the question, "If you don't feel God's presence, guess who moved?" Usually the answer is: "I did." That is not true. God is always on the move. He is always bringing us into the new. But did you move with Him?

I can say that I know I moved with Him here. This is now my home because God is here with me. He is speaking, He is comforting, He is equipping. He is so good. He is so faithful.

With that said, I now more clarity of my job description. It is soooo much!! I know I can do it on His strength, but I know that I need your prayers to make it happen.

I will be teaching conversational English to the teachers here. They speak English already but have such strong accents that it is sometimes difficult to understand them.

I will be developing classroom management training seminars.

I will be teaching English to Valentina, a girl with no arms, no legs, and little/no formal schooling up to age 16.

I will be developing the reading program here. There are not books in the classroom. There are not reading strategies taught. They have reading passages in their textbooks with questions to answer afterwards, but other than that, there is not reading here.

Please pray the teachers will be receptive to all the changes I have been brought on to make. I want to come alongside the teachers to help- not tell them what to do. But there are a great number of changes that will be made this year.

Also, please pray that I can learn the language here. It is very difficult for me to remember. Plus, all of the people here speak English, so there is the false lack of urgency.

I am off to observe classes now and make notes about things that can be improved. I taught a math class this morning about rounding to the billions place to grade 4. That was fun! :-)

By the way, I am learning patience with the internet. It seems to not be my friend whenever I am trying to communicate with friends back home. :-( It will show that I have full signal, but won't actually be transmitting any data. Such is life a developing nation.

3 comments:

  1. That is fantastic news! It seems that the download I got at your party at the park is already "full steam ahead". The impact you will be making on a global level is incredible. I am so excited for you and I know that you will do great.
    Just remember to enjoy some down time; it may be difficult at times with everything you have to do there.

    "...In QUIETness and trust is your STRENGTH..." -Isaiah 30:15b (NIV)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raymi I just sat down and read all of your blogs!! The only thing I can say is seriously, blessed buffalo!!! I miss you friend!! Hope god is blessing you in ways I cannot imagine! You are an amazing peron for what you are doing, and I am so proud to call you my friend! I think once you get comfortable with the people there you should bust out your weight headband or the brain box!! Love u friend and may god continue to bless you and keep you safe!! Heather Rivera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nona Rae (not sure how to spell that so much)-
    You have been on my heart and mind. I am praying for you and I feel the weight of the language barrier. I know God is doing a work in you and through you. The language will come---but what is more important than the earthly language is that you speak the language of God's love. I was reading Psalms 49 and saw you speaking as David does: Psalms 49:1 "Hear this, all people; Give ear, all inhabitants of the world, Both high and low, Rich and poor together. My mouth shall speak wisdom, And the meditation of my heart shall give understanding." You speak truth and as you learn the earthly language that will only intensify the language of God's love that already flows from every part of you... I love you and my Father loves you... Peace be with you, my sister

    ReplyDelete