Saturday, July 31, 2010

One Month "Anniversary"

So, I have been here for one month now. It seems strange that it has already been so long! I feel like I have done nothing here yet, but I know that is just a lie from the enemy. I've been praying, worshipping, and connecting with people. I know this is bigger than I think. And, I have been learning how to stay on fire while away from my spiritual family. God is good, and I love this journey of discovering Him and who I am in Him.

This week was a breakthrough week for me. Thank you SO MUCH for all of the prayers sent my way. I felt them and needed them! The week started out with me being stressed. I had planned on having a Sabbath last weekend and had three teacher training seminars to attend and a Jesus Revolution meeting. Monday and Tuesday, I was good, but had so little direction as to what I was supposed to do next.

The Lord reminded me that I am called first and foremost to be a worshipper. If I am not in the posture of worship in my heart, then I am worthless. It is only when I gaze upon Him that I can do anything- and even then, it is Him doing it. Truly, what we behold, we become. I had spent the first three weeks here beholding my ever expanding job descriptions instead of beholding the One who called me here.

And with this refocusing, came the breakthroughs in the natural that I have been craving/expecting! God is soooo faithful!

I now have a classroom! It's not much, and I still don't have a desk, a fan, or a bookshelf, but I have space to teach in and decorate!!! :-) Oh, and it has internet! :-)



Monday I will finally be able to start my classes! :-) Pray that everything goes well. The students are SOOO shy! If they do not talk, I am not sure I will be able to teach! This is quite the opposite problem I had in the states. Any suggestions on how to draw out shy ones? Lol. I try letting them touch my hair, count my freckles and ask me questions. Only sometimes does that work. :-) I also need to develop/ use a vocabulary program to help boost their comprehension. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another breakthrough! I found someone to help me teach the high school students! Tennie already works with them during their required study hall hours. Now, I can give her the reading strategies I use and she can teach them. In this way, I will "only" have 30 students from Grade 1 to Grade 6 plus teachers! I can handle that! :-)

So, my schedule is worked out, too! Mondays and Wednesdays I will teach Grade 6, Grade 2, and Grade 4, and three teachers. Monday nights, I will conduct teacher training seminars. Tuesdays and Thursdays I will teach Grade 1, Grade 3, and Grade 5, as well as assist the teachers who are preparing for their board exams. Fridays are lesson planning days as well as a day for me to meet with teachers individually, observe classes, and do whatever else needs to be done. I have a break on Tuesday/Thursdays that will allow me to chat with friends and family in the states, too. :-) And each afternoon, I have a large chunk of time reserved to hang out with Jesus- an ABSOLUTE necessity if I am going to be at all successful in this work.

The Lord is good! :-)

In other daily news... (haha, I feel like I am writing for a newspaper but with the organization of columns and sections!)

I got to go to the chiropractor twice this week! I really like the way things work there. He has a full staff with physical therapists, myo-therapists (they are like deep tissue massage therapists that basically kill your muscle nerves), and if needed, a medical doctor. So, I got adjusted, received myo-therapy, a massage, and physical therapy. It is soo nice there! I feel like I am going to a spa and that I am back in America. Unfortunately, the cost is similar to the price in America, too. I am praying that my finances and time will allow me to continue going. I feel so much better after an adjustment and the other services rendered.

I believe God wants to and will heal me completely of this back pain. But I also see His purpose in it. When I look at things from His perspective, it makes the painful things so much easier to endure- and to endure with joy. James 1:2-3 "Count it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter trials of various kinds because you know the testing of your faith produces endurance."

Today was Nutrition Month Celebration. The students made posters, songs, and dances about eating healthy food and then presented them to the whole school and their parents. These kids are very creative and very talented. So many of them have creative giftings! I had a blast tasting foods and watching the kids come alive onstage.

This afternoon, my friend Cheryl came over and we talked for hours, then took a nap, then talked some more. We planned on doing our lesson plans, but our conversation was so good and fun that work didn't happen. However, she volunteered to help me do my laundry and ended up doing all of it! Haha! She rocks!! :-) She got to eat peanut butter sandwiches and have the privilege of using my printer in exchange. So, in essence, we bribed each other. :-)

It is now way past my bedtime and I have to get up early in the morning for church. Congratulations for reading this post all the way here! I have pictures, but will post them later so I have time do it right. (Please graciously ignore any typos, misspellings, ommissions, and other grammatical errors. Proofreading is not happening tonight! lol.)

Thank you so much for your continued prayers.

3 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raymi,
    so good to hear how God is working things out for you. I enjoyed getting to talk to you via skype the other night. I will continue praying for your back - glad you got to have your appt for that.

    love you,
    aunt patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ecstatic how things are falling into place. It is amazing how much is being done (contrary to your statement) in the short time you have been there.
    How did class go today? Were you able to get the children talking?

    ReplyDelete