Friday, September 17, 2010

Giving Up

When you have given up everything, give up thanks.

I'll never forget a moment in college when this wisdom began to be worked into my being.

My first year of college, I had moved for the first time, had changed churches, and was living with strangers. God had me in a life group where I had to drive 45 minutes one way (at least) in order to get there. I was complaining and crying to God one night on this drive, "God, do You know how much I've given up for You? Everything in my life has changed except my car and my music." God broke in to my pity party so strongly that I am still feeling its effects. I don't know if it was the audible voice of God or not, but it changed me so completely it may have been. He said, "Do you know how much I gave up for you?"

Jesus left heaven where He was properly worshipped. He had perfection- literally. Sometimes we look at our lives and think, "I have the perfect life." Jesus had the perfect life. He was loved perfectly. He had perfect fellowship with Father and Holy Spirit. He could move His pinky toe and the world would change. He had all authority in heaven.

But He did not have you.

He gave it all up because He considered you to be worth losing it all. Have you made Him Lord, the Boss of your life? Having Him is worth losing it all. And then, when you have given up everything, give up thanks. Thank Him for giving up everything for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment